Thursday, September 19, 2013

Halloween Mummy Wreath!



Look what I made today! I'm pretty much in love with my little mummy wreath... 
and it was the easiest thing in the world to make! 

Yesterday, my good friend Kayla and I went shopping for our supplies. We looked at lots of different wreath ideas, but we wanted to give this one a shot... 


Here was our inspiration

We really liked the oval grapevine wreath instead of the circle. I was shocked to find the tattered looking mesh fabric in a package in the Halloween section of Hobby Lobby. Turns out it's called cheesecloth, and it's easier to come by than I thought. (the strip of cheesecloth was about 9 feet) 

...we also found the huge googlie eyes

We went to Joann's for our fabric, and I fell in love with the black skeleton fabric,
and the orange spider web fabric! 

I'm a sucker for fabric, and wanted to make my bow tie out of fabric instead of ribbon. I also wanted to hang my wreath with the same fabric. (you really only need two strips, one for the bowtie, and one for the hanger. i cut them in about 1 1/2 inch strips. You really only need to buy 1/8 of a yard, max)


First I trimmed the grapevine wreath because sticks poke out all over the place. Then I cut the strips of fabric to hang the wreath. I wanted the mesh mummy wrap to kind of hide the fabric knot that helped hang the wreath...


Once my wreath was "hangable"
I wrapped it

My first attempt, I stretched the fabric out a little too much, so I took it off and started over. (Once you touch the grapevine with the fabric, it sticks like crazy. If you can do it in one attempt, I'd recommend it.) My friend Kayla is quite right, I'm a perfectionist. We both liked the look of the more bunched up and layered wrap better

I liked the last bit of mesh fabric that was left hanging on the bottom side of the wreath. Instead of cutting it off, i decided to tie some ribbon around it to hold it in a bunch, and I eventually hot glued it down with everything else


In my humble opinion, bows suck to make from scratch. They are hard to tie and of course you want them to look just perfect! I eventually figured it out, and trimmed down the fabric into a point. 




Kayla picked up some halloween spiders, so we popped a few on our wreaths as we glued it all together.

Tip... we tried to stretch the fabric a little tighter where the eyes would be. Just remember the fabric is soft, thin and flimsy. Be careful and don't press on the backside when you have fresh hot glue on the back of they eyes. I wouldn't know from personal experience or anything, but i can imagine it hurts. You might even say a bad word around the kiddo's! ;)



This is Kayla's wreath! I like her bow! It was fluffier. 
My wreath didn't hang as low, and she added more spiders than me :)

But we both agreed that we liked ours better than the original inspiration! I think my favorite part is the oval shape, and the splash of orange!


We had lots of fun :) 

I love hangin' with this girl


and her CUTE little boy!

I think it's time to decorate for Halloween!

P.S. Here's Kayla's take on our mummy wreaths!





No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10