Tuesday, September 17, 2013

It's OFFICIAL!


My goal here is to not be typing ALL DAY. So I’m starting with the highlights from my adventures at MEPS last week… (some of you have briefly heard these highlights on facebook) 

First, I REALLY wanted to enlist as an E-2. An E-2 is going to get paid more right off the bat, compared to an E-1, not to mention the fact that I’ll already be higher in rank than those starting out. The only way I was going to be able to enlist as an E-2 was if I had at least 20 college credits. I had worked hard during my summer semester to make this happen, but then I was told that one of my classes didn’t count because it was a pre-college level class. So I didn’t have 20 credits, I only had 16. We were bummed when we got the news, but made our peace with it and decided we were just grateful that we had enough credits to enlist at all. We were going to take what we could get at this point. By the time I met with the Air Force liaison at the very end of my very long day, he insisted that I actually had 23 college credits and that I was in fact enlisting as an E-2! I told him that he had better be damn sure before he got my hopes all up… (he had a great sense of humor)  He collaborated with other liaisons, and they unanimously agreed that I did in fact have enough credits to enlist as an E-2. On top of a housing allowance, food allowance and medical insurance, the income of just starting out as an E-2 is huge for us. We’re tickled pink right now.

Another highlight was when I actually passed my physical. We thought for sure that I would be disqualified halfway through the day. We thought that I would have to schedule an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon who would need to clear my carpal tunnel surgery and wrists. That would take another month or two, so once again, I made my peace with it. I’ll go into detail about my physical for those who want to read about it, but at the end of the day, the doctor gave me the green light, and I was walking around with a smile from ear to ear.

Another highlight….  Oh, the official score for my DLAB (Defense Language Aptitude Battery) was 117!! They recently changed the minimum score to 105 instead of 100 for Air Force (which I didn’t even know going in to take my test) but you have to score a 110 in order to qualify for the level IV languages like Arabic or Mandarin. I was SUPER excited about my 117! That was huge.

Then, at the end of the second day, they had me sign my contract and swear in! It was surreal. You can have family there when you swear in, but I wasn’t worried about it, since I’ll have another swear in before I leave for basic training. Family can all come to that one. We got a crash course on stances, like the Parade Rest stance, and Attention, before a Captain came and swore us in. We had to be willing to say the words, “God and Swear.”

“I, Vanessa Amundson, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me according to law and regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.”

This flood of emotion came over me as I swore in, along with 3 other recruits. It was pretty intense.

When the day was over, I called Clark to tell him I needed him to come pick me up, but I couldn’t talk. It wasn’t until I got in the car with him that I told him all the highlights of the day! He was just as excited as I was, and we were both just in awe that things had gone so well. We were officially in! We’d passed the physical without hold ups, and I was an E-2! Not to mention the fact we were thrilled about the DLAB score. It was a good day.


Those were the highlights of my two days that I had so anxiously prepared for. I of course told Clark every little detail, as I will also do with my blog. I don’t want to forget any of it. Feel free to read further. I will talk about the first day, including the DLAB and my arrival at the hotel, all that I saw and heard and felt, day two with the physical from hell, and all that led up to me signing my contract and swearing in. At the very end, I elaborate a little on what’s next…

So on Monday, Clark drove me to my recruiter’s office, where I introduced the two of them to one another. Clark had never met my recruiter in person before. He helped me carry my overnight bag in, and kissed me goodbye. My recruiter went over a bunch of paperwork with me and gave me a quick rundown of what to expect over the next two days.  That’s when we talked about the fact that I would probably get dq’d at my physical because of the carpal tunnel surgery, and would probably have to continue dragging this out even further. We talked quite a bit, and I asked lots of questions. He had a recruiter’s assistant there, who had just recently finished his course at DLI (Defense Language Institute) in Monterey. (one of my top goals) This assistant was going to be the one driving me to MEPS for the DLAB. I was told to pick his brain and glean as much information as possible from him along the way :)

We hit the road, and I did in fact pick his brain the whole way to MEPS. Turns out he learned PASHTO, a middle eastern language also known as Afghan. He scored a 109 on the DLAB, and barely made it into a level IV language before they changed the minimum to 110.

He dropped me off at MEPS, and I went through security before turning in my paperwork and waiting to take the DLAB. I was definitely nervous about the test because I wanted to do well. I had only really studied what was available to study for about a week, which wasn’t very long at all. But during the test, I was really calm. I was going to take my time (as much as I could on a timed test) and I was going to work through what I could and just do my best. At least this test wasn’t going to keep me out of the Air Force altogether, like the bloody ASVAB. The DLAB really was tough. All these rules to a made up language… it was hard to keep them all straight. It was pretty brutal, but I still hated the ASVAB more. When I was done, the testing instructor printed my results and whispered, “This score isn’t good at all. It’s embarrassing really….” I rolled my eyes at him and told him I’d been around his sense of humor long enough to know better. 117 baby. I’ll take it.

He returned my cell phone to me that had been locked up in another room. There were lots of other recruits in the waiting area that were still waiting to A) get their cell phones, so that they could B) call their recruiters and open their ASVAB scores, and then C) get on the shuttle for the hotel. Poor kids were dying. They were holding their envelopes but had no way of opening them to find out their scores. I was the only one with a phone, so I started looking up all their recruiter’s numbers on Google. Some Navy, some Marines, but mostly Army. One at a time, they made their calls and opened their envelopes. A few of them got great scores. Mostly in the 80’s, and one Navy kid got a 90. Some Army kids scored in the 40’s but they didn’t care. They were just glad to pass. The Marine kid called his recruiter, but his recruiter wanted him to wait til he got there. Poor kid couldn’t stand it. That’s when we started holding the white envelope up to the light trying to see his score. Haha… I finally found his 89 as I held the envelope up to the light. He was stoked. And his recruiter never even showed! We all sat around talking and getting to know one another while we waited for the last kid to finish testing. They were almost all 19, with the exception of the 21-year-old Marine, and a 25 year old Army kid who didn’t know when to shut up. There were probably 10 of us altogether, just sitting around waiting for the shuttle to take us to the hotel. I was the only Air Force recruit, and the only girl. The 19-year-old Navy kid was trying to get into Aerospace Engineering or something like that. He was smart as heck and from the Salt Lake area. The Marine kid wanted Infantry, or better yet, he wanted Recon. He was pumped and had a good head on his shoulders. His recruiter drove him in from Wyoming, about 2 ½ hours away. All the rest were Army, and they had all been bussed in from Las Vegas. Some wanted Infantry, some wanted to go Airborne and jump from planes. The last kid finally finished his ASVAB test, and we got on the shuttle. MEPS was now closed for the day. I sat next to the new kid that we hadn’t met yet. I asked him what branch he was here for, he said Marines. He was 19. Turns out he didn’t pass his test. He didn’t even get the minimum score, therefor; he couldn’t stay the night and do his physical the next day. I felt so bad for him. He said he had studied all day the day before. I was like, “WHAT! You only studied for ONE DAY!” His dumb recruiter pressured him into taking the ASVAB on a moments notice. Of course he bombed it! Man I studied for months, and it was the hardest test I’d ever taken. One day isn’t enough. I told the kid to buy a study guide and give it time, and go find another freakin’ recruiter! One that would work WITH him and help him. 



We checked in at the Hotel Radisson in Salt Lake. It was real nice. We got free dinner coupons, free breakfast coupons, and instructions on our briefing that would take place promptly at 20:00. It was 19:00 when I headed up to my room. It was super nice, especially when I usually just stayed in a Super 8.  Sleep number beds, amenities everywhere. 




I got all settled in, and all of a sudden someone was trying to get into my room. I had the latch over the door, so I went over and opened the door. This girl walked in and was like, “Hi!” And blew right past me. I stood there confused, and she was like, “I’m your roommate. They didn’t tell you that you had a roommate?” I was like, “Nope. But okay…” She was in and out in less than a second, but said a whole lot in that small amount of time. She left me a bit dizzy. Her name was Paige. It was only like 19:25, so I didn’t have time to go to the sit down restaurant and eat before the briefing, but I did have some time to kill. So I went down to the lobby and sat with the kid that had just bombed his ASVAB. He was from Payson, (way the heck out in south Utah County) and was waiting for his ride. He was watching everyone else eat at the nice restaurant, check into their rooms, and run around without adult supervision. I felt so bad for him. He asked me if the rooms were nice. Well shoot kid… I’m trying to make you feel better here… don’t ask me a question like that! I can’t lie! I’ve got a sleep number bed up there… but no, they aren’t too nice. Sheesh. Other kids were sitting down in the restaurant, which I didn’t think was a good idea, since I didn’t see how they were going to order, wait and eat all before their briefing. I didn’t want to be rushed. One of the Vegas Army kids sat down in the lobby with us. We waited for 20:00, then headed to the briefing room. As we were waiting for the room to fill in, more and more people seemed to be showing up. There were 4 more girls that showed up, other than my roommate and I. The two that I got to know at first were both shipping out in the morning. Like, getting on their plane and headed to basic training in the morning! I was so jealous. It was fun to be around all the buzz and excitement. Some were shipping out the next day, some were there for physicals. So many branches! One girl was Navy. She was 21 and had the cutest bob haircut I’d ever seen, since apparently Navy makes girls cut their hair. The other girl was 19, and headed to Air Force basic in the morning. She had her hair in cornrows. We all visited, and then the briefing started. It was fast. We had a workout facility, a game room with xbox, and pool and stuff, and a curfew to be back in the hotel by 22:00. Those shipping out the next day listened to their instructions, then they were free to go. We were briefed on how the morning roll call would go, and a few other things. There was a big emphasis on girls and guys staying out of each other’s rooms. As soon as that was mentioned, everyone instantly scanned the room for anyone they might consider breaking the rule for. I found this comical, but clearly the rule needed to be made clear. After the briefing, most of us headed to the restaurant. We were all standing there waiting to be seated, and I realized that no one knew anyone, so naturally, we were all being seated by ourselves.  I asked for a group table, since I didn’t really want to have dinner alone. My table was instantly filled up and a group of us all had dinner together. Dinner was fantastic, and I headed up to my room. Since I had a roommate, and we were going to be getting up at 4:30am, I wanted some time to myself before she  came back. I had nothing against her, but I felt so weird sharing a room with someone I didn’t know. It’s always Clark and the kids. I knew that I needed to get used to being put into situations that I wasn’t used to. I would be sharing my space with lots of girls that I didn’t know, and I’d always known this. This was the beginning of this new part of my life, so I was ready to face it head on.


I showered so that I wasn’t in the way when Paige came back. My goal was to be in bed between 9 and 10, since hello, I had to get up super early! Paige came in, and asked me if I wanted to go for a walk outside before curfew. It was awfully nice of her to ask, but I wanted to do a few last minute things before I called it a night. She stripped her clothes off, changed into workout clothes and talked a hundred miles a minute before I blinked, and she was gone again. She had this way of making me dizzy! I set out my clothes and got my paperwork together before I sat down to figure out my sleep number bed. When she came back into the room, we started making small talk. Turns out she was Air Force. 22 or 23 years old I think… married only 5 months now. Her husband was previously Marines. I guess she was joining the Air Force, and her ex-Marine hubby was going to beauty school. This girl was different, but she was growing on me. She had a cute personality once you got to know her. We ended up talking until 12:30 in the morning! At 11, we were like, “K we’d better get to sleep.” But then we just kept talking! We were having so much fun. Every half hour, we were like, “We REALLY need to get some sleep.” But that never happened. We actually had a lot in common. She had been a nanny, I had been a nanny. I had been a surrogate mother, the lady she nannied for had asked her to be a surrogate for her. We both had insanely frizzy unmanageable hair. We talked about so much stuff. She really wanted to be a linguist in the Air Force, but she didn’t think she could do it. I showed her my DLAB study guide, and she was a natural. She caught on to as much of that made up language in 15 minutes as I had in 4 days. I told her she should totally wing the test tomorrow, and at least see if linguist was an option for her. I told her the minimum was 100, since that’s what I had been told. We finally fell asleep a little before 1am. I was so glad I had been forced to get out of my comfort zone and get to know her. Every time I make the effort to meet people, I always end up enjoying their company. But there’s still always that initial hesitation and reservation. She was a lot of fun. The alarm went off all too early. We got ready, and headed to breakfast. They had a fabulous breakfast spread, but I just can’t eat that early in the morning. I gagged down some oatmeal with brown sugar and craisins, but I really just have a hard time eating that early. If you had given me an hour, I would have had bacon and eggs, french toast, fruit, and whatever else you can think of. Turns out a lot of people had a hard time eating. Either it was too early, or they were headed to basic training and were just too nervous. We headed to the lobby for roll call.

At 5:30am, while we were sitting around waiting for the bus, you could tell who was shipping out. Marines had NOTHING with them. Just the clothes on their back. Some Marines had a pamphlet, but they were told to trash it at the airport. Navy had a small bag, but only the clothes they were wearing. They would mail their one pair of clothes back as soon as they were issued their sweats and PT clothes later that day. Air Force recruits all had a massive duffle bag. They want you to bring 3 pairs of civilian clothes because it takes a few days to issue uniforms and such. Ladies bring all their own underwear, and so on. After roll call, we got on this massive charter bus and rode the 5 minutes to MEPS. They had insisted we drink like a gallon of water the night before because everyone has a hard time peeing in a cup during the physical. Stage fright. I was so worried about not being able to pee, that I drank so much water, my teeth were floating before we even got there. We sat on the bus parked outside MEPS for like 10 minutes before the doors were opened. We got off the bus and huddled around a man in uniform waiting for more instructions. It was early and dark. We all had duffle bags, backpacks and a folder full of paperwork. There’s always one guy in every group that doesn’t know when to shut up. I’m serious. There’s always that one guy that will ruin it for everyone else. Make it harder for everyone else. I can’t stand those people. The man in uniform says, “Good morning.” And everyone unanimously repeats, “Good morning Sir.” But that one guy I mentioned earlier, the 25 year old who just doesn’t have a clue, yells, “Thank you! Good morning to you too Sir!” That was just the beginning. “How is everyone this morning?” “Good Sir.” And then the big mouth in the middle of the group hollers, “100% FANTASTIC SIR!” I feel bad for that kid in basic, and I feel even worse for his flight. They might want you to stand out, but not like that. So when they called your name, you were supposed to walk through the metal detectors and go straight to your Liaison. You would get a sticker nametag. You were to make sure your name and social were correct. Then proceed to the front counter and receive further instruction. I did as I was told. 



Liaison, sticker, front desk, and off to the medical wing. Man I had to PEE! I found out from the girl shipping off to Navy that day that the pee-in-the-cup part didn’t come for like an hour and a half. That was good news. I stood in that medical line for about 20 seconds dancing before I was like, “Screw this. I gotta pee. I’ll just have to pray I can go when they need me to IN AN HOUR AND A HALF.” I stood and waited in the medical line for a while. I was about 6th in line, but I was in a good mood and ready for the day.  As I got closer to the front of the line, you could tell that all the men in uniform were just regular guys gearing up for another day’s work. They were making jokes & giving recruits a hard time. The thing I noticed most was that they had a very dry and sarcastic sense of humor. One that I could pick up on and appreciate. Very no nonsense, tell it like it is. (I got a lot of short jokes :) When you got to the front of the line, they asked you what your hair color was, your eye color, and a couple other things. For some reason I was listed as blonde. We got it fixed, and from there, they were sending people to different lines for different rooms. My first stop was to have my blood pressure taken, and my ears looked at. Then I went to my vision test. They tested to see if I was colorblind. They checked depth perception and had me read the letters on the eye chart. Passed with 20/20 in both eyes and waited for the hearing test. The first 6 of us were loaded up into a sound proof box. We all sat on a stool and had a pair of headphones. You couldn’t have gum in your mouth, and I had to take my earrings out for this part. They seal the room up, and every time you hear a beep, you click your clicker. The beeps get so unbelievably soft, and they said that it will get so faint, you’ll wonder if you’re just hearing things. I passed the hearing test no problem, and when it was over, we were supposed to go to the medical briefing room.

We sat and waited for a long time. When the room was full, we went through a dull and long series of, “This is the first piece of paper in your folder. Don’t do anything. Don’t write anything. Here are the instructions. If you have your own pen, don’t use it. If you have your own pencil, don’t be a nerd. Write the date like this: 20130910 instead of 09/10/2013. Sign your name on all documents with your first, middle and last. Not your middle initial, your full middle name. Fill in the bubble with a check mark. Not with a bubble. Not with a star. A check mark. Turn to page two.” And so on… you would be amazed at the amount of people that still signed their name with only their middle initial when they did indeed have a middle name. Or the amount of people who couldn’t figure out the date. The man in uniform got frustrated, which I could completely understand. You can see why they are so curt and impatient. He did have a good sense of humor though. At one point, he was like, “Put your occupation on this line. If you’re a lifeguard, write lifeguard. Not swimming pool. You are not a swimming pool, you are a LIFEGUARD. Then he walked around while everyone was writing, and he said to the marine kid behind me, “What’s a Chip n’ Dale?” I busted up laughing. He was giving the kid a hard time but it was seriously funny. Then we did a breathalyzer test. I was the first to go, and he told me I had to do it right the first time because I was setting the bar. He congratulated me on being sober. They had people come in and check your packets to make sure all your paperwork was done correctly. By this time, I had to pee again, and apparently so did the 3rd girl in our group. It was time for our blood draws. We filed into the lab, had our blood drawn, and sat in chairs to wait some more. They only test for HIV, and nothing more. Then it was time to pee in a cup. The men in uniforms were taking bets as to how many guys would have stage fright today. Us 3 girls followed an ornery old nurse (our chaperone for the day) into the special bathroom.  There were two giant stalls. We had to pull our pants down past our knees, pee, and set the cup on a paper towel at our feet. The nurse couldn’t take her eyes off the cup. She used her cane to slide the paper towel out of our immediate way, and we could shut the stall and finish our business. When we opened the stall again, we had to hold the paper towel and cup out in front of us and stand up against a wall til everyone was finished. Then they opened a window in the bathroom, where a guy was standing there on the other side waiting to do his thing. He took my cup, dipped a pregnancy test into it, and told me that these tests took forever. I recognized them immediately. They were the dollar store tests I had at home. He said, “Whoa! That’s the fastest negative I’ve ever seen!” I wasn’t allowed to look away from what he was doing, so that he couldn’t be accused of contaminating my sample or switching it out. If I looked away, the sample got tossed and I’d have to pee again. He sealed it up and bagged it. They test for a number of drugs. 6 I think. They said even if you don’t do drugs, but your buddy smoked pot on the way to school in the car with you 2 weeks ago, and it shows up in your urine, you’re done for. No exceptions, no explanations. Once we were done, we could wash our hands. Then we sat and waited some more. They had us lock up our bags and cell phones when we first got there, so I had no idea what time it was, but I was starving. I asked someone, and it was only like 8:30am.

Then it was time for my personal interview with the Doctor. I sat in a room with him and he reviewed all my previous medical history and paperwork. We talked about my carpal tunnel. He made me do some of the same tests they did when they were diagnosing the carpal tunnel. Over the intercom, we heard them announce that lunch was being served once you were finished with your physical. We were all starving. It felt like it was 3 in the afternoon when it was only 10am.

It was time for all the girls to file off into a room for the fun part.  We had to strip down to our underwear. Panties and bra. One girl was beautiful. Fit and toned. Air Force as well. I hadn’t met her yet. My roommate had never had kids either, and she looked fine. Both of them were in fancy underwear, and I was trying my hardest to be invisible. I had told my roommate the night before how uncomfortable I was and how much I was dreading this part. She knew I was struggling, and every so often, she would whisper, “You’re doing great. You’re almost there.” First we were weighed, one at a time. I was 128. Then we were measured. I was exactly 60 inches. Then the Doctor came in. His name was Dr. Pain. No joke. How appropriate. He was a nice elderly man though, and very understanding. He looked at our eyes and had us follow the light. He looked in our ears and mouth. He listened to our heart and our breathing. Then he turned on a movie where there was a person demonstrating things like the duck walk. One at a time, we’d waddle across the room. Then we’d do all sorts of range of motion things with our arms, our legs, our feet, and so on. He watched our spine and watched for a limp in our gait. When we were done, we went behind a curtain and stripped naked. Wrapped up in a paper blanket, and one at a time, went into the exam room (with the chaperone of course.) I was second. Laid on the bed, and did the breast exam. Super fun. Then you let your knees rest with your feet in stirrups. They don’t do anything except look for a quick second. There is no pap smear or pelvic exam. Then they make you lean forward and they check your back and butt. That was pretty much it. They let you get dressed and that’s when Dr. Pain signed some stuff and said, “You’re good to go.” I asked him if I was cleared for my carpal tunnel, and he said that the head surgeon would need to review his approval, but that I was pretty much good to go. I asked him if I could hug him! I was so excited :) He laughed. I went out and sat in another chair waiting for the Head Physician. This man had very little personality and was all business. He looked at my paperwork, signed it and handed it back to me without so much as looking at me. I was told to talk to him about my concern with shin splints. I told him my concern, he didn’t seem worried, gave me some advise, and that was that. As I left his room, I had to be cleared to leave the medical wing. While they review your file to leave the medical wing, they make you do a read-aloud test. I think it’s just testing for stutters and whatnot. It’s a paragraph that makes absolutely no sense. Like, “Tell Uncle Bub that you don’t like the color purple. He’ll yell out bumblebee! And you can run as fast as you can up the hill and into the pot of gold until your dad sprinkles cupcakes with bicycles.” It’s just a nonsense paragraph, and they have you start over if you get caught up on a word or stutter. They make you stand in front of the waiting room where everyone is sitting waiting for various tasks as you read. It wasn’t a big deal and they hardly listen to you. I don’t mind being up in front of people, so I just read it and that was that. Once I was done, the chaperone nurse and men in uniforms were all joking around and talking with me. They all knew I had been nervous about the carpal tunnel clearance, so they all congratulated me.

I went to the Air Force Liaison office. He looked over my paperwork and told me to go to the front desk to get fingerprinted. The front desk directed me to the back of the building where they electronically printed all ten fingers. Then I was allowed to get lunch. Deli sandwiches, a cookie, chips and a drink. I had such a bad headache by this point, and I had waited so long to eat, that I actually didn’t feel very good. I took a couple bites but threw almost my entire lunch away. Then I just sat in the waiting area for like an hour waiting for the liaisons to call me back. I got to know others that were sitting out there as well. All the kids I knew from the hotel that were shipping out that day were still at MEPS! They said that some of their flights weren’t ‘til 2 or even 5 in the afternoon. They were waiting for family to arrive so they could be a part of the swear in ceremony. We watched them go into the big room with all the flags and décor. Then the liaison called me back.

I had to lift a giant weight bolted to the ground. It was a big machine where you had to Olympic Power Clean weight over your head. Thank goodness for Crossfit, otherwise I would have had no clue how to do this. You had to lift the weight over your head, but it was heavy, and you had to do it a certain way. Locking your arms and lifting with your legs. Paige was able to lift 70, and I was able to lift 80. I almost did 90, but I was tired after previously doing 50, 60, 70 and 80. The Liaison told us that you had to lift 100 pounds to be a firefighter and a couple other things, but to do just about anything else, you just had to lift 70 lbs. Anything after 70 was just gravy. Paige wanted to take the DLAB, so she went back to the testing center. I went and sat down with my liaison. He started looking over paperwork, and that’s when he discovered I could enlist as an E-2. I was stoked. Then their computers crashed. This is what I’d been waiting for all day. I swear I’m cursed. He had already printed out a list of jobs that I qualified for, which was lucky, so we went through and highlighted everything I was even remotely interested in. I ended up with 17 jobs in my list. Then he printed up my contract. We went over it, and I signed it. Then he gave me my Air Force t-shirt. Then they had me follow a lady through this maze of offices at the back of the building. As I was following her to her desk, she dropped her yogurt and it splattered EVERYWHERE. I helped her clean it up, and eventually sat down at her desk. It was a cross between the cat lady’s desk, and my great grandma’s… Floral doilies, dusty fake flowers, and cat stuff everywhere. It reeked of coffee. She pulled up the same contract on her computer, and I electronically signed it with my fingerprint. That was it. She took me to another room with a computer.

I had to take a survey about my day at MEPS. It was pretty generic. Was the facility clean? Was the staff friendly and helpful? Would you change anything about your day at MEPS? I gave them great marks, but I did leave this big long complaint about having to do all that crap in your bra and underwear. I told them that there was no reason that my stomach had to be showing that entire time. I told them that my stomach was as private as my vagina, and that the only time it needed to be uncovered was with the doctor during the examination.  If the doctor needed to see my stomach, he could do so during the exam. Not while I’m duck walking and hopping around with other people in the room. Then it asked for my name, phone number and email, so I added another complaint about the fact that I thought it was bull that my survey wasn’t anonymous. I wasn’t going to take back my complaint though. I was genuinely upset about the fact my stomach was showing that whole time. Nevertheless, I survived my worst nightmare. I was truly mortified about that part of the physical, and I lost sleep over it for weeks leading up. I got through it, and as far as I’m concerned, I can now do anything.  

After the survey, it was time for me to be sworn in. It was pretty neat. You can have family there when you swear in, but I wasn’t worried about that, since I’ll have another swear in before I leave for basic training. Family can all come to that one. A guy in uniform read us the code of conduct for the military, and we got a crash course on stances, like the Parade Rest stance, and Attention. By crash course, I mean, he showed us once, and had us try it once. Then he left to get the Captain. I was a little overwhelmed. I was worried I’d mess up and do the wrong stance or something. While the 4 of us were standing there nervously, one kid said, “In just a moment, we will all be property of the US Government. We all nervously chuckled… we were all thinking the same thing. We’re gonna screw this up. The Captain came in and asked us if we had any objections to saying the words “God or swear.” We all said, “No Sir.” Then he swore us in…

“I, Vanessa Amundson, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me according to law and regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.”

This flood of emotion came over me as I swore in. It was pretty intense. It was just all becoming real. I know this sounds cheezy, but I felt this sense of patriotism that I’d never felt before. After we swore in, the Captain came around and shook our hands. Congratulated us and told us that what we were doing was admirable and he commended us for joining the military because of all the chaos and upheaval currently in the world. We followed him out, and he handed us some new paperwork. Then I went back to my liaison.

At this point, we were about finished, and it was about 2:30 in the afternoon or so. My liaison had me call Clark real quick to tell him to be on his way, but I couldn’t talk. We spent another 20 minutes finishing up. Because he couldn’t electronically submit my job preferences, (the computers were still down) we talked about what he would officially enter into the computer. Talked about all the different jobs, and my DLAB score. I didn’t qualify for certain jobs because of my height. If you had a fear of spiders or insects, you didn’t qualify for certain jobs. We talked about what my contract meant, and that was pretty much it. I took my t-shirt and got my phone and duffle bag. Sat down in the waiting area with the friends I’d made over the last 24 hours and visited while I waited for Clark. They had watched me swear in and asked what it was like. Some of them had backpacks and stuff from their recruiters. Then this one 19 year old Army kid from Vegas wanted to ask me for all sorts of relationship advise. It was pretty funny. They all joined in. This one kid was like, “You’re like a mom. All mature and stuff…” and all the other kids were like, “She is a mom! Duh!” lol… every time the annoying 25 year old know-it-all butted in and offered his loud opinion, the kids were like, “I asked her, not you man.” They still had a 7 hour drive home with him! And you could tell they couldn’t take much more. Clark pulled up out front, and I was released from MEPS.

Climbed in the car, and gave Clark all the highlights. We were both in such shock that the day had gone so well! I told him everything. All the big news about E-2, and swearing in, and the carpal tunnel clearance… oh man. It was unreal.

The next day, my recruiter called. He wanted to drive the 35 minutes up to my house and get things going for job selection (since the computers had been down at MEPS. Oh, btw, I was THE ONLY person that never completed the day because of the computers. As soon as I left MEPS that day, the computers came back online. I’m tellin’ you guys… cursed.) My recruiter is so great. He has always been completely on the ball. I told him I could make the drive to him, and when I showed up, he had a huge bag of Air Force stuff waiting for me. Laptop backpack, lanyard, water bottle, workout towel, and toy fighter planes for the kids.






I signed more paperwork, and he said they were going to run a security clearance check IF I landed an intelligence job. Then he gave me a folder of all the stuff I needed to memorize and know for basic training. Turns out I only needed to know the first verse of the Air Force song, but I memorized ALL OF IT. I have everything memorized, from song, to creed, to core values and rank. He said that because I was now considered reserves, or delayed enlistment, I needed to check in every Friday via text to let him know that I was alive and well. I needed to check in by using the reporting statement that I’d use at basic. “Sir/Ma’am, Trainee Amundson reports as ordered.” In addition, once a month, there was a meeting in his office for all delayed enlistment recruits. We would weigh in, talk with a recently returned recruit from basic, ask questions, and be able to show that we didn’t have a broken leg we were trying to hide. He has recruits that dance the line between being overweight vs. underweight… my max weight is 145, and I’m 128, so he’s not worried about me.

That was it. I check in once a month in person. I check in every Friday by phone, and I sit tight and wait for them to land me a job. He said it could be 2 weeks, or it could be 3 months. I will put it out of my mind at this point. I can’t rush the process. Military, a whole lot of “Hurry up and then wait…” All I can do is continue staying ready for basic. When they call with a job, then I’ll know more about my ship date for basic training. Their ballpark time frame is between January and March. It could be later than that, it could even be sooner. I like both. I like leaving later, because that would mean I get to spend Brylee’s 3rd birthday with her in October, have Halloween with my girls, and spend Thanksgiving and Christmas with Taylor, Clark and the girls. On top of that, it would give me more time to prepare; physically, mentally, emotionally. It would give me more time to make sure everything will run smooth for Clark while I’m gone. On the flip side, the later in the new year I leave, the more I risk being gone for part or all of my summer visitation with Taylor. I’m having to wrap my head around this very real fact. We have no control over when I leave, so we just have to deal with it when the time comes. This is the part I’m really sick of. The waiting game. The not knowing…

My sister called last night. She admitted that she didn’t believe for one minute that I’d ever actually join the Air Force. I can say this because A) she hates reading my long blogs, and B) she will always love me no matter what I think, say or do. We don’t always understand each other, but we’re always there for each other. She thinks I’m nuts, but she thought I was nuts when I was a surrogate mother too. She’s excited for us though. I called my dad. He was just as wonderful as he always is. He said that he wanted to come to graduation. He said if I ended up in Monterey at DLI, he wanted to come visit during tech school. (I was born in Monterey California while he was stationed at Fort Ord.) I love my dad. He’s pretty great.

Which reminds me. I have a piece of paper that has to include anyone that might want to come to graduation. If I have a crazy Aunt Muriel who is a major flake, and she MIGHT want to come to graduation, I have to have her on this list, otherwise she can’t get on base. I received my retirement information and my medical insurance information from my recruiter as well. I am technically military, so I have access to Hill Air Force base just outside of Salt Lake. When I have my orders, I can look into USAA insurance.

It’s weird saying I’m in, vs. saying I’m “working on” getting in.

Clark and I have been talking a lot about this transition we’ll be making. I’ve got my feathers a little ruffled… I told him that the big life change isn’t going to be basic training or wearing a uniform for me. It’s the fact our family dynamic will change. That’s the scary part for me. Some people start their lives from the beginning in the military. But it’s not just a figurative “life change.” It’s a literal “life change” in every sense of the word. Now that this is all becoming more and more real, it’s starting to sink in a bit more every day. Crazy stuff.

Oh! I called my roommate Paige the next day. I left MEPS before she was finished with her test. She told me she scored 102 on the DLAB, and I was so excited for her! Until she told me that the new minimum score was 105 and she barely missed the mark. I couldn’t believe it. She winged that DLAB. She only spent 15 minutes looking over the concept with me, she took it, and scored over 100! But TECHNICALLY didn’t pass! I was so upset! I was the one that told her that 100 was passing, because that’s what I had been told. The testing instructor even thought she passed. I got her hopes all up, and she genuinely rocked that test, but they just keep moving that stupid minimum score up. I felt so dang bad. As far as I was concerned, she freakin’ rocked it. She had a real knack for it… I’m telling ya. So she’s waiting to find out what her job is as well. We plan on staying in touch.

I can officially do 3 pull-ups now, and did 35 push-ups yesterday in 1 minute. I have to do 27 to graduate, but 37 to graduate with honors. I’m pretty excited.

Gonna sit tight and wait for more details. So happy things are really falling into place! :)  




Of course I had to include my cheezy facebook picture :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10